Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) 482 Visa
This is the new visa scheme which has replaced 457 visa from 18 March 2018. TSS 482 allows Australian businesses to sponsor highly skilled and genuine workers from overseas under a condition that they have difficulties recruiting Australian citizen or permanent residents to fulfil their employment needs.
This visa provides a pathway to a permanent resident visa (subclass 186) should your employer wishes to sponsor you permanently.
TSS 482 comprises of 3 visa streams mainly based on the current market’s demand and skill shortages in Australia as indicated in the lists of eligible skilled occupations.
• Short-term stream – this is to facilitate the need for a temporary business employment requirement for up to 2 years. The occupations need to be listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).
• Medium-term stream – the stream enables employers to sponsor workers for up to 4 years. The occupations need to be listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or The Regional Occupation List (ROL).
• Labour Agreement – this stream allows employers who have a labour agreement with the Department to sponsor overseas workers.
• General requirements
o Sponsorship approval – the business needs to be or has lodged an application to become a standard business sponsor by seeking an approval from the Department. Please contact us for further sponsorship requirements.
o Nomination approval – the prospective employee needs to be nominated by the business where the nomination has already been approved. Please contact us for further information about nomination process.
o Skill requirements – the applicants need to provide any proof that they possess the skills, qualification and experience relevant to the occupations they intend to work on.
o Applicant can either be inside or outside of Australia.
o Age – there is no age requirements for this visa.
• English requirements
o For Short-term stream – IELTS band 5 with a minimum score of 4.5 in each of the components.
o For Medium-term stream -IELTS band 5 with a minimum score of 5 in each of the components.
• Work experience requirements – a minimum of 2 years work experience in the nominated occupation. This work experience requirement applies to both Short and Medium-term streams.
Step 1 – a sponsorship application by the employer
Step 2 – a nomination application for a skilled position by the employer
Step 3 – a visa application by the nominated employee.
Please contact us for a further detail about the application process.
• Sponsorship fee – $420
• Nomination fee – $330
• Visa Application fee – $1175 and $2455 for Short-term and Medium-term streams respectively.
• The applicants must be outside of Australia if they have held more than one Short-term stream visa or they were in Australia when they applied the most recent 482 visa.
• The business sponsoring employees for TSS 482 visa is required to pay a training contribution charge ($1200 to $1800). Please contact us for further information.
• 8607 – this is a similar condition to the 8107 applied to the previous 457 visa. It requires current TSS 482 visa holders to seek a new nomination approval if they would like to change their occupation for which the TSS 482 visa was granted.